It is important that any symptoms or breast changes are properly investigated by your doctor. If you have any concerns, contact us to make an appointment. At Pakenham Family Health we have 5 female doctors with years of experience between them available for appointments 7 days a week. They are all available to perform breast checks in Pakenham.
As well as having your regular breast screen every two years (women between 50 and 74 years of age), it is important to be breast aware because breast cancer can develop at any time and at any age. We recommend you get to know the normal look and feel of your breasts. All women aged 40 to 49 years who have no breast symptoms also have free access to the BreastScreen Australia program should they choose to a have a screening mammogram.
Most breast changes are not due to cancer, but it’s important to see a doctor to be sure.
If you notice any of the following changes please see your doctor immediately:
- a lump, lumpiness or thickening of the breast.
- changes in the skin of a breast, such as puckering,dimpling or a rash.
- persistent or unusual breast pain.
- a change in the shape or size of a breast.
- discharge from a nipple, a nipple rash or a change in its shape.